Mobile Device Update Record
Suppose you need to report a problem, take a photo of it, and assign this problem to a user responsible for fixing it. For example, you’ve created an initial record containing problem data in your online database, and afterward, a corresponding request is sent to the mobile phone of the assigned user. Later, you want to know when this problem or task is fixed, so the assigned user should update the record using a mobile device.
To achieve this in a straightforward manner, you can add a
Record Change trigger with the
Mobile Device Update Record action to a table where the data should be stored. Then, the assigned user needs to set up the TeamDesk mobile client application on their mobile device.
Please note that all mobile Update Record requests will be automatically deleted from mobile devices after 30 days from the creation date.
Please note that the
Mobile Device Update Record action requires a trigger. To make this adjustment, please follow these steps:
Create a record change trigger. For example, the "Problem Assigned to User" trigger:
Then, add a new Mobile Device Record Update action to this trigger and fill in the action form. For instance, you can add the "Fix the Problem" action:
- Enter a name for the action.
- Add any comments you need for this action.
- This option is intended to override the default “table color” logic, allowing you to set a different color for a mobile action.
- This option allows you to choose an icon for the mobile action from a selection of over 900 icons covering various subjects, such as actions, brands, file types, symbols, animals, and more. The
Search boxabove will help you narrow down the list of choices.
- Sent To
- Select options defining who can access the action in the TeamDesk mobile client application. You can specify one or many options described below:
- All users with access: The action will be accessible for all users who can view or add records to the table where the action is created.
- Me: The action will be accessible only for you.
- The User: The action will be accessible only for a specified user.
- The user listed in the column: You can choose a column comprising a user name. So the action will be accessible for this user.
- User Input
- In this section, you can choose fields or columns that should be displayed to a user when creating a new record via the TeamDesk mobile client application.
Please note that the
Mobile Device Update Recordaction is associated with a trigger or a custom button to send a form-filling request to a user’s mobile device.
Additionally, the action can include assignments.
Furthermore, we’ve added new functions to use in the Mobile Device Create/Update action assignments section:
- DeviceLatitude(), DeviceLongitude(), DeviceLocation() - GPS coordinates of the mobile device when the user clicks the "Send" button.
- DeviceTimestamp() - Timestamp at the moment of using the "Send" button.
The 'Revoke from Devices' button
If there’s a need to revoke the action from all devices, use the
Revoke From Device button accessible on the action form.
Example: Construction Task Tracking
Problem registered in the database:
We recommend adjusting the Form Behavior to make the "Problem Photo" and "Problem Description" fields Read-Only if they are not blank.
A responsible person is assigned to fix the problem:
The task arrives on the mobile device of the assigned user:
In case the task is reassigned to a new user and such a new user is selected in the
Assigned To field of the database record, the trigger sends the mobile update request to this new user. Afterward, the system automatically revokes the update request for the previous user.
As a result, the newly assigned user can report a solution using a mobile device.
When the user sends the solution, the system updates the record in the database:
Feel free to request a trial for the Example: Mobile Device Create/Update Record Database to test how it works.
Revoking a Mobile Update Record Request With "Closed" Status
Sometimes a user can update a record directly in a database. In this case, you may need to revoke the update record action that has already been sent to a user’s mobile device.
For instance, the Status column keeps two choices: Open and Closed.
When the "Closed" option is chosen and the record is saved, the system should revoke the update record request from a mobile device of the assigned user.
To clean the update record request, you need to add the Formula-User column keeping the following formula:
After that, you can create, for example, a record change trigger.
Then add to the trigger the mobile device update record action you need to revoke and choose the Formula-User column in the settings of this action.
As a result, all update record requests with the "Closed" status will be revoked automatically.