Lookup columns can be created, if there is a many-to-one relation between tables. These columns can be added to the Details table to represent a specific data from a related Master table (for example, the "Projects" table may need to contain the Client Company, Client Phone, Client E-mail from the related "Clients" table).
Using one relation you can add as many lookup columns as you need.
Furthermore, when a reference column of Many-To-One cardinality is created and a Proxy column is chosen in the reference column settings, the lookup column displaying Proxy column values is added to a table automatically.
If a column contains data that doesn’t appear or behave as you desire, you can edit the column’s General Properties.
Properties defined by the column type:
- This field comprises the name of the related table. It works as a link referring to the table properties.
- This field keeps the relation name displayed as a link referring to the relation.
- Value Column
- In the Value Column field select the name of a column in the master table from which the values for a lookup column in the details table will be taken.
- Display as link
- In the Display as link field select a check box to display a value as a link to the master record.
- When the Help text property is filled in, the question mark is displayed near the field name on the View/Edit form. If you point to this question mark, the pop-up with a tip or a help text message will be shown.
Please note that if a lookup refers to a column of the File Attachment type and the
Display As Linkoption is unchecked in the lookup settings, a user who clicks on such a lookup will be redirected to the attached document or image. Moreover, if an image (or a signature) is attached, this image (or signature) will be shown as a lookup value. If the
Display As Linkcheckbox is activated, only the link referring to the master record will be displayed as a lookup value. After clicking on such a link, the master record containing the attachment will be opened.
Furthermore, if you need to create a lookup column displaying another lookup that shows an image kept in a File Attachment column, you also have to activate the
Allow Public Accessoption in the File Attachment column settings. Otherwise, the image will not be visible in such lookups that display other lookup columns.