Lookup columns can be created, if there is a many-to-one relation between tables. These columns can be added to the Details table to represent a specific data from a related Master table (for example, the "Projects" table may need to contain the Client Company, Client Phone, Client E-mail from the related "Clients" table).
Using one relation you can add as many lookup columns as you need.
Furthermore, when a reference column of Many-To-One cardinality is created and a Proxy column is chosen in the reference column settings, the lookup column displaying Proxy column values is added to a table automatically.
If a column contains data that doesn’t appear or behave as you desire, you can edit the column’s General Properties.
Properties defined by the column type:
- This field comprises the name of the related table. It works as a link referring to the table properties.
- This field keeps the relation name displayed as a link referring to the relation.
- Value Column
- In the Value Column field select the name of a column in the master table from which the values for a lookup column in the details table will be taken.
- Display as link
- In the Display as link field select a check box to display a value as a link to the master record.
- When the Help text property is filled in, the question mark is displayed near the field name on the View/Edit form. If you point to this question mark, the pop-up with a tip or a help text message will be shown.