Records stored in different tables can be linked to each other. For example, in the Projects table, you can select a Client Name value stored in the Clients table. TeamDesk allows users to establish relationships between records in one table and records in another table using reference columns. Reference columns provide a straightforward way to create relationships between tables.
When you edit the settings of a reference column, in addition to the general properties, you can access the reference column options.
The Single-Reference column includes the following Single-Reference Options:
The Multi-Reference column includes the following Multi-Reference Options:
- Reference To
- This option displays the reference table from which the dropdown records will be selected.
- Link Table
- An intermediary table where the linked records are automatically stored when the Multi-Reference column is added.
- Proxy Column
- Use this property to specify that another field containing a more accurate description should appear and behave like the reference field when viewing record data on the View Form.
- Record Picker
- Use the Record Picker to specify how master table records should be displayed when editing a reference column on the Edit form.
The following record picker modes are available:
- Simple choices: all options (master table records) are presented as a dropdown list of choices;
- Dropdown with 'Browse Choices' option: to view all choices, select the "Browse Choices" option in the dropdown. When the "Browse Choices" option is selected, all accessible choices are displayed in a new pop-up window with a possibility of search;
- Type-in with 'Search' button - a user may type in a keyword or a part of it in the search field. The list of choices matching search criteria will be opened in the pop-up dropdown;
- Radio Buttons - This option is helpful if you have a single-reference column referring to a small dataset. The system generates the list of radio buttons and a user can select a related record directly on the screen;
- Check Boxes - This option can be activated in a multi-reference column referring to a small dataset. The system generates a list of check boxes and a user can select many related records directly on the screen.
- Override default record picker
- If you activate this checkbox, you can override the default record picker and configure specific options for selecting master records in a reference column.
It enables you to filter out the records, that will be available for the user, as well as override the sorting of the available records.
A reference column always participates in a relationship. Therefore, if you adjust the Override default record picker options in the reference column settings, the same options will be displayed in the corresponding relation, and vice versa.